- What hobbies are common in your culture?
- Are there any hobbies that you think are not worthwhile?
Hobbles In Our Lives BRN
- Why do people have hobbies?
- How important is it to encourage children to take up hobbies?
Hobbles Past and Present BRN
- How are hobbies now different from hobbies in the past?
- Has modern life limited the time we spend on hobbies?
Different types of TV programmes
- What are the most popular kinds of TV programmes in your country? Why is this?
- Do you think there are too many game shows on TV nowadays? Why?
- Do you think TV is the main way for people to get the news in your country? What other ways are there?
- What types of products are advertised most often on TV?
- Do you think that people pay attention to adverts on TV? Why do you think that is?
- How important are regulations on TV advertising?
- What kind of art do you enjoy?
- What are the tradition art forms in your country?
- What makes a good painting?
- Do you think children should study art at school?
- How can children benefit from learning art?
- How has art changed in the last few decades in your country?
Types of weather
- What types of weather do people in your country dislike most? Why is that?
- What jobs can be affected by different weather conditions? Why?
- Are there any important festivals in your country that celebrate a season or type of weather?
- How important do you think it is for everyone to check what the next day’s weather will be? Why?
- What is the best way to get accurate information about the weather?
- How easy or difficult is it to predict the weather in your country? Why is that?
- What types of things do young people in your country most want to own today?
- Why is this?
- Why do some people feel they need to own things?
- Do you think that owning lots of things makes people happy? Why?
Salaries for skilled people
- Do you think television and films can make people want to get new possessions?
- Why do they have this effect?
- Are there any benefits to society of people wanting to get new possessions?
- Why do you think this is?
- Do you think people will consider that having lots of possessions is a sign of success in the future? Why?
Shopping at merkets
- Do people in your country enjoy going to open-air markets that sell things like food or clothes or old objects? Which type of market is more popular ? Why?
- Do you think markets are more suitable places for selling certain types of things?Which ones? Why do you think this is ?
- Do you think young people feel the same about shopping at markets as older people ?
Shopping in general
- What do you think are the advantages of buying things from shops rather than markets?
- How does advertising influence what people choose to buy? Is this true for everyone?
- Do you think that any recent changes in the way people live have affected general shopping habits? Why is this ?
Doing new things
- Why do you think some people like doing new things?
- What problems can poeple have when they try new activities for the first time?
- Do you think It’s best to do new things on your own or with other people ? Why?
Learning new things
- What kinds of things do children learn to do when they are very young? How important are these things?
- Do you think children and adults learn to do new things in the same way? how is their learning style different?
- Some people say that it is more important to be able to learn new things now than it was in the past. Do you agree or disagree with that?
Reasons for daily travel
- Why do people need to travel every day?
- What problems can poeple have when they are on their daily journey, for example to work or school? Why is this?
- Some people say that daily journeys like these will not be so common in the future. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
Benefits of international travel
- Why do you think people can learn from travelling to other countries ? Why?
- Can travel make a positive difference to the economy of a country? How?
- Do you think a society can benefit if its members have experience of travelling to other countries? In what ways?
Helping other people in the community
- What are some of the ways people can help others in the community? Which is most important?
- Why do you think some people like to help other people?
- Some people say that people help others in the community more now than they did in the past. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- What type of services, such as libraries or health centers, are available to the people who live in your area? Do you think there are enough of them?
- Which groups of people generally need most support in a community? Why?
- Who do you think should pay for the services that are available to the people in a community? Should it be the government of individual people?
- What kinds of organization want to find out about people’s opinions?
- Do you think that questionnaire or surveys are good ways of finding out people’s
- What reasons might people have for not wanting to give their opinions?
Questionnaires in school
- Do you think it would be a good idea for schools to ask students their opinions about
- What would the advantages for schools be if they asked students their opinions?
- Would there be any disadvantages in asking students’ opinions?
- Why do you think people go to restaurants when they want to celebrate something?
- Which are more popular in your country: fast food restaurants or traditional restaurants?
- Why do you think that is?
- Some people say that food in an expensive restaurant is always better than food in a
cheap restaurant – would you agree?
- Do you think there will be a greater choice of food available in shops in the future, or will
there be less choice?
- What effects has modern technology had on the way food is produced?
- How important is it for a country to be able to grow all the food it needs, without importing any from other countries?
Going to meetings
- What are the different types of meeting that people often go to?
- Some people say that no-one likes to go to meetings -what do you think?
- Why can it sometimes be important to go to meetings?
- Why do you think world leaders often have meetings together?
- What possible difficulties might be involved in organising meetings between world leaders?
- Do you think that meetings between international leaders will become more frequent in
the future? Or will there be less need for world leaders to meet?
- What do you think makes someone a good friend to a whole family?
- Do you think we meet different kinds of friend at different stages of our lives? In what ways are these types of friend different?
- How easy is it to make friends with people from a different age group?
Influence of friends
- Do you think it is possible to be friends with someone if you never meet them in person?
Is this real friendship?
- What kind of influence can friends have on our lives?
- How important would you say it is to have friends from different cultures?
Making Friends BRN
- Is it easier to make friends when we’re young or when we’re older? Why?
- Where do people typically make friends?
- Why do you think certain friendships last a lifetime?
Friends versus Family BRN
- What do friends provide that family cannot?
- Are friends ever more important than family?
- Do you spend more time with your friends or with your family? Why?
Friends and Time BRN
- What impact has technology (computers, cell phones, the Internet, etc.)
- had on your friendships?
- How do friendships change as we age?
- What are the main reasons why people organise family parties in your country?
- in some places people spend a lot of money on parties that celebrate special family events. Is this ever true in your country? Do you think this is a good trend or a bad trend?
- Are there many differences between family parties and parties given by friends? Why do you think this is ?
- What kinds of national celebration do you have in your country?
- Who tends to enjoy national celebrations more : young people or old people ? Why?
- Why do you think some people think that national celebrations are a waste of government money? Would you agree or disagree with this view ? Why ?
Ideas and education
- Some people think that education should be about memorising the important ideas of the past . Do you agree or disagree ? Why ?
- Should education encourage students to ahve their own new ideas ? Why ?
- How do you think teachers could help students to develop and share their own ideas?
Idea in the workplace
- Should employers encourage their workers to have new ideas about improving the company? Why ?
- Do you think people sometimes dislike ideas just because they are new ? Why ?
- What is more difficult : having new ideas or putting them into practice? Which is more important for a successful company?
Competitions in school
- Why do you think some school teachers use competitions as class activities?
- Do you think it is a good thing to give prizes to children who do well at school?
- Would you say that schools for young children have become more or less competitive since you were that age? Why?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of intensive training for young sports people?
- Some people think that competition leads to a better performance from sports stars. others think it just maks players feel insecure. What is your opinion?
- Do you think that it is possible to become too competitive in sport? In what way ?
Technology and housework
- What kinds of machine are used for housework in modern homes in your country?
- How have these machines benefited people? Are there any negative effects of using them?
- Do you think all new homes will be equipped with household machines in the future? Why ?
Technology in the workplace
- What kinds of equipment do most workers need to use in offices today?
- How have developments in technology affected employment in your country?
- Some people think that technology had brought more stress than benefits to employed people nowadays. Would you agree or disagree? Why?